Thursday, September 19, 2013

Reality check...

Want to know something that may surprise you?

I wish I had a smaller boat.

Oh sure, to be honest I do, from time to time, want a bigger boat but mostly I want something smaller.

The advantages of a bigger boat (being able to carry more stuff and have a bit more speed) quickly passes whenever I consider the added work and costs a bigger boat (or the one I am currently on) generate.

Fact is, most folks I know with bigger boats never actually use the added space in any needful or meaningful way that justifies the added expense and work.

If you follow the the semi-common practice of purging all the gear you have not used in a year, it's not like you can get rid of that extra berth or cabin that never gets used because you don't have any friends that want to (or have time to) come visit. Though, every time you haul out or tie up in a marina you're paying for all that extra space you're not using.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."   - Antoine de Saint-Exupery